Monday, September 7, 2009

Make Something Tasty Today - I Command It!

I love to cook and love healthy food. Here's a great recipe I adapted from two of my favorite chefs, Ina Garten (The Barefoot Contessa) and Maria McQuillan, my daughter Julia's best friend, Melina's mom. Maria makes the best beef empanadas, unequivocally, though I have not yet been brave enough to ask for the recipe. I am just grateful when a few find their way to my table!

This recipe for Shrimp Ceviche is yummy as a veggie dish too. Hope you enjoy, with love, on this Labor Day!

Ina’s Ceviche with Maria’s twist

Ina contributed the orange and Maria’s secret ingredient is ketchup.

Grate zest of 2 oranges
Juice oranges and reserve juice in a medium bowl

Put in medium bowl
Orange zest (2-3 tablespoons)
1 lb shrimp, cooked, shelled and cut in small pieces (already cooked or boil until just done) – let cool (can substitute 1 package (8-10 oz) extra firm tofu cubed and browned in skillet, drained and cooled until just warm)
2 Tablespoons capers
½ cup finely chopped celery (3 large stalks)
½ cup finely chopped red onion
¼ cup finely chopped cilantro
(you can also cube an avocado and add it too J )


In smaller juice bowl
Combine orange juice (about ½ cup) with 2 tablespoons white wine vinegar or champagne vinegar, 2-4 tablespoons Heinz ketchup. Whisk together with about ½ teaspoon ground pepper and 1 teaspoon salt. Slowly add good olive oil (about ½ cup) and whisk until emulsified
Pour dressing over shrimp, etc and toss. Set aside to marinate a bit and chill. Serve over a bed of lettuce in a dessert cup or bowl or plain from the container.

I always love this part - Eat and enjoy. As my sister Jenn would say; "eat and enjoy, I command it". Jenn is not a demanding person. She loves our language and gets a kick out of those directive statements, like "have a nice day (or I"ll make you have one)", "make this day great (or else)", etc.

Store extra covered in the refrigerator - or I'll come over there!

No comments:

Post a Comment