Saturday, May 16, 2009

The Best Mood Altering Drug


My daughter Jess gave me a mix cd for Mother’s day. She included some of our favorite songs and artists. I love music. To me it is one of the greatest gifts we are given. For me, it would follow then that some of our musical artists throughout history are some of our greatest gifters.

One of my ealiest memories is sitting at the piano at my grandmother's house. Since I was a child I continue to be a huge fan of Mozart, Beethoven and Bach. As a young teen, Carlos Santana, Mick Jagger and Keith Richard dazzled me, Thad Jones and Mel Louis, CSN and the Beatles. Maturing, The Greatful Dead, Louis Armstrong, Leo Kottke, The Byrds, David Bromberg. As an adult, Sondre Lerche, Elton John, Stravinsky, Steve Goodman, Sarah Maclachlan. There are many, many others as well.

The gift for me can be in the words or the music itself. They both speak. A melody or dissonance can bring me to tears as quickly as an amazing lyric. Dynamics in music are like a powerful wave sweeping upward or down, and even further upward again. A lyric that explains exactly how I am feeling gives me the feeling of being understood, because someone else has uttered it.

Music can be an amazing mood altering drug. Try it.

No comments:

Post a Comment